Friday, March 20, 2009




The point of winter camping for me is applying my deepest understanding of my physical being, my relationship to nature and the desire to reach for the quiet landscape to find my own inner peace. The deep cold, the winter light, the frozen landscape all are in a deep state of quiet. I find the same quiet in a meditative practice and enjoy being immersed in wild natural settings. The practical lessons I learn in winter camping are about how the body works in adverse conditions. I can fell my inner physical metabolism working in a clear way and can find a balance of stoking the inner flame of my body. Winter camping is challenging and rewarding on so many levels. I love it.

Winter in the Adirondacks brings some migrating visitors to our land. We have had Pine Grosbeaks, Red-wing Blackbirds, Purple Finches, Black and Whites, Red Poles, Evening Grosbeaks, and Red Crossbills moving thru. Ravens are in courtship and the birds that are year round neighbors are beginning to sing their spring songs. We have yearly visit from a Barred Owl that perches near the house during the day. The Canada geese are heading north and snow geese have arrived at a local grainfield. I love seeing these pure white geese, with their different call, flying north. We have a pair of Ravens that nest on the land every year and they are mating in the tall spruce and balsam firs around us. Spring is slowly coming to us in the northlands.

Take care, Don

No comments: